As 2020 comes to a close, I think it is safe to say that this year was anything but normal. For starters, the whole world was catapulted into a global pandemic — one that does not seem to be slowing down thanks to the new variant that emerged in the U.K.
2020 has been a rollercoaster for many of us and at times I am inclined to write this year off.
However, 2020 did contribute a great deal of exploration, laughter, and memories that I will greatly appreciate. I have many serious reflections on this year, however, I wanted to share some of the funny takeaways I had since I was indoors more often, on social media constantly, and part of too many Zoom calls to count.
- Leave the twerking to the professionals — you’ll just be disappointed in yourself when you can’t do it.
- Why did I not move to New Zealand right after graduating? Although to be fair, Vancouver is not a bad place to be in during a global pandemic.
- I knew I hit rock bottom when I ended up on straight Tik Tok.
- Living with a straight white man is not for me.
- Don’t have your friend auction you off on Subtle Asian Dating. You will receive unsolicited nudes from Internet strangers.
- The Chloe Ting Challenge called me unfit in 10 different languages.
- Save yourself the trouble — don’t watch the Live-action Aladdin film. Not worth it even during quarantine.
- Online schooling. Need I say more?
- Living your whole life at home will make you want to foster a dog ALL THE TIME.
- Hate to admit it but the summer was not the same without Love Island UK on my screen.
- Dalgona coffee is too much work for the time and effort it takes.
- The toilet paper crisis of 2020 for us North Americans made me realize that once I’m not a struggling post-graduate, investing in a bidet would be worth it.
- I hope after 2021, I’ll never have to hear the phrase, “sorry, I was on mute” again.
- I watched more TV shows and movies this year than I have in my whole entire life. Love is Blind, Too Hot to Handle, ring a bell anyone?
- I am still not over how Rina Sawayama was snubbed from the Brit Awards, The Mercury Prize AND The Grammys. Even Elton John said it was the strongest album of this year, and I couldn’t agree more.
- I still think Baby Yoda is stinkin’ cute. Sue me.
- Remember when everyone freaked out about the new IOS14 update? Yeah, me too.
- This is the year I’ve eaten the most pasta, and I’m still not sick of it.
- Aly and AJ’s Potential Breakup Song going viral on Tik Tok, awakened every nerve in my body.
- My tolerance for human-beings is at an all-time low and I only interact with two.
Even though this year was unprecedented for the majority of us, I hope that each of you still had moments and reflections that bring some joy to you. And if not, well, at least we got some good memes out of it.